|Help for non-English speakers
If you need help to understand the information in this policy, please contact the school on 9311 9325
To ensure that Western English Language School provides appropriate support to students with health care needs.
To explain to Western English Language School parents, carers, staff and students at all WELS Campuses and Outposts, the processes and procedures in place to support students with health care needs at school.
This policy applies to:
- all staff, including casual relief staff and volunteers
- all students who have been diagnosed with a health care need that may require support, monitoring or medication at school.
This policy should be read with Western English Language School’s
Student health support planning
In order to provide appropriate support to students at Western English Language School who may need medical care or assistance, a Student Health Support Plan will be prepared by the Senior Teachers in charge of WELS’ Footscray and Melton Campuses, the Assistant Principals at Manor Lakes and Wyndham Campuses, the Welfare Coordinator and Assistant Principal at the Braybrook P-10 Campus and the Senior Teacher at the St Albans Campus and in consultation with the student, their parents, carers and treating medical practitioners.
Student Health Support plans help our school to assist students with:
- routine health care support needs, such as supervision or provision of medication
- personal care support needs, such as assistance with personal hygiene, continence care, eating and drinking, transfers and positioning, and use of health-related equipment
- emergency care needs, such as predictable emergency first aid associated with asthma, seizure or diabetes management.
Note: Template health planning forms are available here: https://www2.education.vic.gov.au/pal/health-care-needs/resources
Appendix 1 – sample health planning form
Students with complex medical care needs, for example, tracheostomy care, seizure management or tube feeding, must have a Student Health Support Plan which provides for appropriate staff to undertake specific training to meet the student’s particular needs.
At enrolment or when a health care need is identified, parents/carers should provide accurate information about the student’s condition or health care needs, ideally documented by the student’s treating medical/health care practitioner on a Medical Advice Form (or relevant equivalent)
Western English Language School may invite parents and carers to attend a Student Support Group meeting to discuss the contents of a student’s Health Support Plan and assistance that the student may need at school or during school activities.
Where necessary, Western English Language School may also request consent from parents and carers to consult with a student’s medical practitioners, to assist in preparing the plan and ensure that appropriate school staff understand the student’s needs.
Student Health Support Plans will be reviewed:
- when updated information is received from the student’s medical practitioner
- when the school, student or parents and carers have concerns with the support being provided to the student
- if there are changes to the support being provided to the student, or
- on an annual basis.
Management of confidential medical information
Confidential medical information provided to Western English Language School to support a student will be:
- recorded on the student’s file at the relevant campus or outpost and also on Cases 21
- shared with all relevant staff so that they are able to properly support students diagnosed with medical conditions and respond appropriately if necessary.
This policy will be communicated to our school community in the following ways:
- Included in staff induction processes and staff training
- Available publicly on our school’s website
- Included in staff handbook/manual
FURTHER INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
The Department’s Policy and Advisory Library:
- Child and Family Violence Information Sharing Schemes
- Privacy and Information Sharing
- Health Care Needs
- Health Support Planning Forms
- Complex Medical Care Supports
The following school policies are also relevant to this Health Care Needs policy:
POLICY REVIEW AND APPROVAL
|Policy last reviewed||15 June 2023|
|Approved by||Acting Principal|
|Next scheduled review date||June 2026|
This policy has a mandatory review cycle of 3-4 years